It’s a holiday tomorrow! Besides being May 4th (May the Fourth be with you) it’s also FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! All around the U.S. comic book shops have generously ordered a selection of comic books special for the day and will be giving them away.
If you’ve been interested in comic books but not sure how to get started, this is a great day to give it a shot. It won’t cost anything but a bit of time. If you’re nervous about what to expect, here’s a few tips:
- You might enjoy getting in line early (stores are often open extra hours for the day) and chatting with the other folks in line. Don’t worry, you can show up later as well if that makes you more comfortable.
- Yes, the comic books are free. Some stores give away one book per person, others give a whole pile. There will be extra employees on hand, often with a FCBD tshirt on so you can find them easily. They’ll be able to explain that store’s policy.
- Stay as long as you like. There will often be other fun events going on as well. Artists selling their art, cosplayers, creators doing signings, raffles, etc.
- It will be crowded, but everyone is there to have a good time. Ask questions if you have any, it’s a holiday and you’ll likely get a cheerful response.
- If you’d like, you can bring a few dollars with you and buy a comic book or two as well. Stores often have special sales and making a purchase is a great way to show your thanks, but it’s not required! Comic book stores usually have other related merchandise as well.
So, what kind of comic books will the stores have available? It will depend on what your store has ordered, but there is a whole list of books on the FCBD website, including previews so you can check the titles out and decide which ones you want to look for.
The comics given away on FCBD are all good representatives of their monthly counterparts. Often they are stand-alone stories that wrap up in just a single issue and sometimes they’re the first issue in a new series. If it still seems overwhelming, here’s a few titles I can recommend as I’ll be picking them up myself:
Lumberjanes: Shape of Friendship
This series is one of my favorites of all time. It’s about a group of girls who find themselves at a mysterious summer camp that’s full of weird animals, greek goddesses, and other strange goings on and they get through it all through the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.
Doctor Who: The 13th Doctor
This one is for fans of the show. It’s the first issue of a new series, written by Jody Houser.
Malika: Fire & Frost
This looks interesting! The publisher focuses on African creators, with this title featuring a young woman whose vision leads her from home to do battle against some epic evil.
Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale
Written by Lauren Myracle, is a sneak peek of a forthcoming graphic novel about a teenage Selina Kyle on her journey to becoming Catwoman.
Some companies publish a special sampler of a few titles. This one is a manga publisher and features Witch Hat Atelier, which looks really cute.
That should get you started! If you didn’t see something that piqued your interest here, you can check out the whole list. Even better, go to your local comic book store tomorrow and browse for yourself! Don’t know where your local is? The FCBD website has you covered with their store locator.
If you don’t have a store near you, be sure to check out Midtown Comics and MyComicShop.com for a couple of days after the event. They often let you order free comics and will send them to you for just the shipping costs.
Just writing this got me excited all over again. I need to go read some comic books right now! Happy FCBD and if you go, leave a comment here and let me know what you picked up!
The Official Free Comic Book Day Website has a store locator, the list of books, and lots of other information about the day.